Mini Shadow Block QAL

I was happy to be a participant in a mini quilt along! We all used the Shadow Block Mini Quilt from Studio Dragonfly Quilts and it’s so much fun and super easy! When I saw it I immediately knew what fabric I was going to use and was able to fussy cut it! I had a little bit less time than others did ( I had two days) but I quite love how it came out.

Photo Sep 05, 2 56 49 PM

Photo Sep 05, 2 57 08 PM

I also used Grunge by Moda fabric which is my absolute favorite. I found a gorgeous green but it would have looked odd using it for binding so I used it on the back.

Photo Sep 05, 2 57 32 PM

I used a new batting which I’m not thrilled with. I love Quilter’s Dream but I won a package of Dream Puff at our guild meeting and thought I’d use it for this. Is there a secret to it? I kept finding that it would throw my fabric off kilter and make everything wonky as I was quilting it. What are your thoughts?

Check out all the wonderful versions of this quilt at the blogs below!

Jen Rosin at A Dream and a Stitch

Janice Holton at Color, Creating and Quilting

Debora Exum at Studio Dragonfly

Susan Arnold at Quilt Fabrication

Bonnie Stapleton at Institches with Bonnie

Jennifer Fulton at Inquiring Quilter

Jennifer Strauser at Dizzy Quilter

Joanne Harris at Quilts by Joanne

Anja Clyke at Anja Quilts

Mary Schuberg at Needled Mom

18 thoughts on “Mini Shadow Block QAL

1. Janice Holton says:

I really like the way you fussy cut the squares with these cute little creatures! Who’da thunk you could find sloth fabric!! 😀 The colors look great with the shadows. It turned out GREAT in spite of your limited time. You must work well under pressure!

2. Jennifer Strauser says:

My god, I love those sloths. I have seen them popping up here and there, and I’m almost ready to start shopping.

I can’t get to your site for some reason. I hope it is just me, but if you aren’t getting any traffic you might want to check it out. I get a privacy error. It is just on my macbook, I can visit you on my phone. Chances are good it is a problem with me.

Oscar is my first “small dog” experience. I was raised with dobermans and rottweilers, and our first family dog was/is an Australian shepherd. Oscar is amazing – he is like a cat and can’t get enough of cuddles. I love him.

3. Jennifer@inquiring Quilter says:

I too love that sloth fabric! It’s perfect that you fussy cut it for this pattern. The binding is a wonderful compliment. Great quilting! I don’t think anyone’s quilted it that way in the hop, and I love the look!

4. Kate Heads says:

Great fabrics, I love your green backing too. I haven’t used green puff before, my favourite batting is Warm and Natural for machine quilting, and Hobbs 80/20 for hand and machine at the minute as it is a fair bit cheaper just now. I used Quilters Dream a few months ago, it was ok but I found my machine got very dirty, there again the Hobbs is almost as bad.

5. Lori M says:

Oh my gosh!! LOVE your Mini!!! 🙂 Not a good one to judge Batting..never heard of the Green Puff…but have only used the polyester kind so far…got it at JoAnn’s.

6. Kathy E. says:

I don’t really see anything wrong with using the new-to-you batting. I think it looks great! But, I imagine seeing and using it in your own hands leaves a different impression. Now you’ll know what product is your tried and true!

7. Sharon Browne says:

Love seeing all the different versions of this quilt! Sometimes I do my best work under pressure of a deadline. I’ve only used polyester batting so far but I’d like to try one of the cotton blends. I guess I’ll stay away from Dream Puff. Thanks.